As you may or may not know, Wars and Politics of Ice and Fire has its own Tumblr page (as well as its own Twitter and Facebook pages). Even more excitingly, we here at the blog have partnered with ASOIAF University to answer questions about A Song of Ice and Fire. We – that is, NFriel and I – take the text-based questions submitted to us, write up thoughtful text-based answers, and publish these answers on the Tumblr.
So every Monday we present to you The Ravenry. We collect the questions we’ve answered during the previous week over on the Tumblr in post form, with a brief description of each, and publish it here, and link that post on Twitter and Facebook as well. Not as many questions this week, mostly because the Lord Hand was stuck in the Commonwealth Wasteland. However, don’t let that stop you from reading some meta on the ancient kings of Westeros, from their crown jewels to their attitudes on the Night’s Watch, some talk about tournaments, and more!
Without further ado, here’s The Ravenry for the week of October 5:
- NFriel refutes the dragonriding genetics theory.
- NFriel explains Joffrey’s Dornish joke.
- SomethingLikeALawyer points out how difficult it would be for Westeros to conquer any Free City.
- NFriel acknowledges some potential cadet branches in Westeros.
- NFriel theorizes on where Nettles went after the Dance.
- NFriel speculates on the location of the former crown jewels of the ancient kingdoms.
- SomethingLikeALawyer guesses Stannis is going down swinging against the Others.
- SomethingLikeALawyer details why Harlan Tyrell became Lord of the Reach.
- NFriel believes the Dance wouldn’t happen if Rhaenyra was male.
- NFriel answers why Jacerys, Lucerys, and Joffrey’s last names were Velaryon.
- NFriel goes into what happens if Rhaenys escapes Amory Lorch.
- SomethingLikeALawyer states the difference between thralldom and slavery.
- NFriel talks about why Harwin could participate in the Hand’s tourney.
- NFriel doubts magic is going away in it’s entirety.
- SomethingLikeALawyer goes into why Maekar never fought against Dagon Greyjoy.
- NFriel predicts Westeros falls apart at the end of the series.
- NFriel follows up on Northmen participating in the Hand’s Tourney with why so few were present.
- SomethingLikeALawyer highlights how ancient kings of Westeros honored and respected the Watch.
- SomethingLikeALawyer draws out how the Great Council is different from English Parliament, and follows up on some differences between lordships and owning land.
- NFriel wonders on the fate of Coldmoat if Rohanne Webber married Gerold the Golden.
- NFriel gives some thoughts on the behind-the-scenes maneuverings with the Lothstons.
- NFriel expounds on why Aegon V couldn’t use his grandchildren to help mend fences.
- NFriel draws a comparison between the Starks finding the direwolves and Daenerys finding dragons in the original ASOIAF outline.
- SomethingLikeALawyer shows how a trade-focused Hoare king could have done well under Aegon I.
- SomethingLikeALawyer is certain Dunk isn’t a knight yet.
- SomethingLikeALawyer talks about the problems of any pan-Free City New Valyria.
- SomethingLikeALawyer confirms the dragons had to die and the story would be radically different if they didn’t.
- NFriel drops her views on who was the greatest Lord Commander of the Kingsguard.
- SomethingLikeALawyer offers theories on why there’s so few peasant revolts in Westerosi history.
- SomethingLikeALawyer denies that Stannis would cede his claim to Daenerys.
- SomethingLikeALawyer indicates how expensive a kingdom on the Stepstones would be.
As always, we love to hear your text-based questions, so if you have a burning question about ASOIAF, click this link to send us a raven. The more specific the question, the better text-based answer we can write, although we do our best to answer them all.
Until next week,
SomethingLikeALawyer, Hand of the King